In 1908, area residents protested the dumping of Berkeley garbage in their community by incorporating and became the City of Ocean View. In 1909, voters changed the name of the city, primarily to distinguish the City from many other communities in the area with the name of Ocean View. On a vote of 38 – 6, Albany was chosen as the new name, in honor of the birthplace of the City’s first mayor, Mayor Frank Roberts. In 1927, Albany voters adopted the City’s first Charter, giving the City full control over its own governance. In 2008 the City of Albany celebratied its Centennial.
Although built in the early 1940s, the Golden Gate Fields racetrack did not begin successful operations until 1947, and was primarily used by the military during the war years. Adjacent to Golden Gate Fields was the Albany Landfill, a construction and demolition debris landfill that began operations in the late 1950s/early 1960s. This use eventually created what is now the Albany Plateau, neck and bulb. After the landfill closed in 1979, the resulting land area was used as a recreational area. In 2002, the area was incorporated into the East Shore State Park. With the exception of the Albany Bulb, this land is now owned by the State of California.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.